Faculty Achievement is Student Success! FACULTY DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP Presented by D & D Nursing Educators SERIES I May 18, 2013 (11am to 3pm). WORKSHOP I: Cultural...
Library and Resources
Library and Learning Resources
Bay Area College of Nursing has established a library and resource center consisting of textbooks and periodicals providing information in the various allied health and nursing disciplines offered by the institution. Bay Area College of Nursing offers a wide variety of resource material related to nursing education including textbooks and journal. The resource center provides students with access to current publications and quiet workspace. Computers are available for student use.
Bay Area College of Nursing provides students with online library resources allowing the students to perform research on topics covered in each of the certificate, vocational, and non-degree programs. The library will be utilized to research databases providing the student with the most thorough and up-to-date research material available. The library also will provide students with a number of URLs for free online libraries and research organizations.
The online library integrates EBSCOhost Electronic Journals Service (EJS) as the student’s gateway to thousands of e-journals containing articles from hundreds of publishers. A student may search and find textbooks, periodicals, news and current events, encyclopedias and dictionaries, economic data, and healthcare directories. A student may conduct a search by title, author, subject area, or key words. Students wanting to utilize the onsite library will have access to resource materials and tutoring.
The library has a collection of electronic and print books. It has both electronic and print journals. Students and faculty can access full-text electronic journal collections for various degrees remotely 24/7 with the use of a username and password at no cost.
Most of the library’s online databases will require students to verify that they have are affiliated with Bay Area College of Nursing before using them.
The following lists contain online libraries that are recommended to students:
- Appleton Public Library: http://www.apl.org/index.html
- IPL (The Internet Public Library): http://www.ipl.org
- Office of the Law Revision Counsel: http://uscode.house.gov/
- The WWW Virtual Library: http://vlib.org/
- National Business Incubation Association: http://www.nbia.org
- Questia Library: http://www.questia.com(fee)
- SCORE: Counselors to America’s Small Business: http://www.score.org
- English Study Hall: http://home.gwu.edu/~meloni/eslstudyhall/
- Knowledgerush.com: http://www.knowledgerush.com/
- Bibliomania: The Network Library: http://www.bibliomania.com/
- IPL Online Texts Collection: http://www.ipl.org/div/books/
- Litrix Reading Room: http://www.litrix.com/readroom.htm
- Project Bartleby Archive: http://www.bartleby.com/
- Project Gutenburg Archive: http://www.promo.net/pg/
- The On-line Books Page: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/lists.html
- American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- Archives of Internal Medicine
- 2-1-1 Information & Referral Search
- Breast Cancer Resource Guide – Northern CA Cancer Center
- CalQualityCare – guide to long term care in California
- CancerCare Workshops (Free!) – leading experts in oncology provide up-to-date information in one-hour workshops over the telephone or online.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – part of the Department of Health and Human Services
- Critical Care Nurse (CCN)
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Drug Information Portal – Information available for 24,881 drugs
- EBCO host
- EBSCO host Electronic Journals Service (EJS)
- e-Medicine – Medscape Reference
- Get Healthy – San Mateo County Task Force
- Gilbert Guide – assisted and independent living options for every lifestyle
- Health Hotlines – a service of the National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- Healthy Communities (San Mateo County)
- HighWire Press - Stanford University
- Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
- Influenza Information – EBSCO Publishing; Evidence-based Information Portal
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery-American
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – British Volume
- MD Consult – In-depth and quick-reference medical content
- National Guide Clearinghouse – public resource for evidence-based clinical practical guidelines
- Rittenhouse Digital Library – distributing the leading scientific, technical, and medical publishers
- Stanford Health Library
- Trip Database - clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice
- US National Library of Medicine (NLM) – Databases, Research, and more
- US National Library of Medicine (NLM) – mobile apps & sites