Founded in 2004, Bay Area College of Nursing is committed to excellence in healthcare training. The school offers several programs and a strong community to provide...
A 1588.5-hour comprehensive theory and clinical training program requiring three (3) terms of academic work and clinical experience which meets the Basic Curriculum guidelines set forth in Section 2533, Rules and Regulations of the Board of Vocational Nurse and Psychiatric Technician.
The Vocational Nursing Program shall include, but is not limited to, theory and correlated clinical experience which develops the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to care for clients of all ages in current health care settings. The curriculum content is taught in a sequence that results in the student’s progressive mastery of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Instruction is in English Language only.
The total hours of the program are as follows:
- Theory = 576 hours
- Clinical = 1012.5 hours
By the end of Term I: Foundations of Nursing and Basic Medical Surgical Nursing, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the origins of nursing and role of the LVN.
- Demonstrate basic understanding and proficiency in the performance of basic nursing skills.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of the nursing process and its relationship to effective client - centered care.
- Recognize and demonstrate basic understanding of different cultures and their implications for client care.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of disease prevention and the implications for nursing care.
- Identify the 6 rights of medication administration and explain the actions, possible side effects, adverse reactions, and nursing interventions for each major drug classifications.
- Effectively and accurately administer topical and oral medications for assigned clients in accordance with physician orders.
By the end of Term II: Intermediate Medical Surgical Nursing, students will
- Identify the role of the vocational nurse related to the legal/ethical rights of patients.
- Demonstrate increased knowledge and proficiency in the application of intermediate level medical surgical nursing procedures.
- Apply the nursing process and create comprehensive teaching plans while caring for assigned patients.